>RedHawks to Play Bemidji State & More
>Let the scouting begin. With a 4-1 win over Cornell on Sunday night, Bemidji State has moved on to the Frozen Four and will meet Miami for the right to face either Boston University or Vermont in the national championship game. You’ll recall that the Beavers knocked off No. 1 seed Notre Dame on Saturday night, 5-1. As both Miami and Bemidji are number four seeds, this will be the first time in the current format of the tournament (adapted in 2003) that there will be a 4 vs. 4 match up in the national semi-final game. No word yet if which team will be the “home” team and wear white jerseys.
- Bemidji finished the regular season with a record of 18-15-1 and advanced to the NCAA tournament by winning the CHA tournament. Their last NCAA appearance was in 2006, as a No. 4 seed, losing to Wisconsin in the first round.
- The Beavers are currently on a 5-game win streak. Senior Tyler Scofield led the team in the regular season, with 22 goals, tied for 9th best in the nation. Matt Dalton is Bemidji’s No. 1 goaltender. In 30 games, Dalton had a 19-10-1 record and a 2.17 GAA. The BSU power play was 6th best in the nation and the penalty kill was 19th.
- The RedHawks are 2-0 all-time against Bemidji State. The last meeting between the two schools was in November of 2000. The RedHawks swept the weekend series in Bemidji, MN, winning both games 4-2.
- This isn’t the first time the RedHawks have played spoiler and knocked off a No. 1 seed to advance. Miami defeated No. 1 New Hampshire in 2007; the same year that Michigan State- a three seed, won the national title.
- For those wondering, Rico stated in his post game presser, that Ryan Jones made good on his promise of being the first alum to call when the team reached the Frozen Four. He said that Jonesy called several times before he was able to pick up. “I finally picked up and he’s yelling on the other line,” Blasi said.
- Miami will play the early game on 4/9, at 5:00 pm.
- For those that were unable to attend the team’s welcome home rally (me), here is a nice video recap of the arrival, with a police escort, might I add.
- Here is a round up of some of the nationally published articles about the RedHawks weekend: